Oscar-winning co-writer of BlacKKKlansman and creator of CSA: Confederate States of America.
Friday, March 13th, 8:00 PM
Oklahoma City Museum of Art Auditorium
415 Couch Dr.
Free Screening of
Destination: Planet Negro! (2013)
followed by conversation with the director
The OCU Film Institute is thrilled to partner with the Oklahoma City Museum of Art to bring Kevin Willmott to OKC!
Willmott is an American film screenwriter and director known for work focusing on issues of race. He has collaborated with Spike Lee on Chi-Raq and BlacKKKlansman, which was awarded the 2018 Cannes Grand Prix, the 2019 American Academy (“Oscar”) and British Academy of Film awards for Best Adapted Screenplay, The Best Screenplay Award of the African-American Film Critics Association, and was named in many critics’ top-ten lists for the year. He is working with Lee again on an upcoming Vietnam-era story titled Da 5 Bloods.
Willmott grew up in Junction City, Kansas and studied Drama at Marymount College down the road in Salina. After graduation, he returned home where he began working as a peace and civil rights activist. As a civil rights activist, he fought for the rights of the poor, created two Catholic Worker shelters for the homeless, and forced the integration of several long standing segregated institutions. He then went on to study film at NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts, where he received several writing awards and his M.F.A. in Dramatic Writing and joined his interests in creative activity and social justice.
Willmott is Professor of Film and Media Studies at the University of Kansas.
- Ninth Street (1999) – director, writer, producer, actor
- Das Bus (2003) – self
- The Search for Inflata-boy (2003) – actor
- The Fascist of X-Mart (2003) – actor
- C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America (2004) – director, writer
- Waiting for the Son (2007) – actor
- Bunker Hill (2008) – director, writer, producer
- The Only Good Indian (2008) – director, producer
- Destination: Planet Negro (2013) – director, writer
- Jayhawkers (2013) – director, writer, producer
- Chi-Raq (2015) – co-writer
- BlacKkKlansman (2018) – co-writer
- I, Too, Sing America: Langston Hughes Unfurled (documentary, in production) – co-director
- Da 5 Bloods (feature, in production) – co-writer
- The ’70s (2000) – writer
- High Tech Lincoln (2005) – producer